Friday, May 01, 2009

The Things People Give You...

My Going Away Present
This happens to be a concrete core sample that was found outside of the Materials Research Lab at Penn State, under a bush. The person who found it is the technical staff machinist, Chris Jabco. Impressed by the smoothness of the core, Chris clear-coated the sample with urethane. Then, it sat on his desk for over a year and a half. Yesterday, on my last day at MRL, I was told that the tech staff had something they needed to give me before I left. It turns out that they all signed the core, and that it was now my going away present. Chris said, "That there is a conversation piece." I said, "I'll put it on the coffee table. No, it'll be one leg of the coffee table!"

Ah, the wonderful going away presents they give you at places where you make stuff.

No comments: